[ale] Recovering dual boot on installed systems

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Jan 25 13:47:41 EST 2011

ALErs -

I had a working dual boot installation of openSuSE-11.3 and SuSE Linux
Enterprise Server (i.e., Novell) on two disks in the same system. The SLES
setup went on first and its 'grub' knows only itself. The openSuSE 'grub'
knows of both installations and was the basis of the dual-boot
configuration.

I was rearranging the boot setup but <OOPS/> ran my changes when booted
into SLES. &8-( Now I can't figure out how to re-activate the dual boot.

I can start the system from the openSuSE installation DVD in 'Rescue' mode
and mount and chroot to its partitions, but I don't know how to re-write
the boot block from that viewpoint. I expect I could also mount the SLES
partition and edit the 'grub' files but I'm not sure what I need to do
there.

Could anyone give me a pointer or lead on this?

TIA.

  - Mills