[ale] Wanted presentation topics?

John jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Jan 25 07:27:14 EST 2011

A few ideas ... I already had a list. ;)

* Non-trivial Installation of Smoothwall in a KVM VM (my current
personal issue)
* Installation of Ubuntu, CentOS, and Fedora
* Linux Distributions - Why so many?
* Picking Linux Hardware
* Beginning with Virtualization
* Simple Desktop Security Techniques
* Linux Backup Techniques for Home Users
* Logwatch for Watching All Those System Logs
* OpenSSH Keys for Security and Convienence
* Linux Backup AND Recovery - The Round Trip
* Uses for "The Cloud" and Some Concerns
* How to Avoid "RPM Hell"
* IT Infrastructure Design and Architecture (real world designs) with Linux
* Linux IT Infrastructure (NTP, DNS, DHCP, Firewall, Proxy, Authentication)
* NAS/SAN Storage with Linux (iSCSI, AoE)
* White Hat Security - teamed with DC404 http://dc404.kaos.to/ visitor
* Picking Linux Software - License, DB, Language, Ease of Use and upgrades
* Gaming on Linux
* Choosing File Formats for Compatibility
* Simple Linux Monitoring (Cacti, SysUsage)
* Version Control Systems (git, cvs, rcs, sccs, svn, bzr)
* Interoperability in an MS-Windows World (ew)
* Zimbra: Enterprise Communications Server
* Alfresco: Enterprise Document Management
* Content Management
* Blogging Software Overview
* Email Clients - Lots of Choices (thunderbird, claws, enlightenment,
pine, mutt, webmail)
* Gnome vs KDE vs OpenBox, FVWM, and Others ...
* Cross Platform Software Development (this would need to be
platform/language specific)
* Home Media Techniques
* Security For Virtual Environments
* Backing Up Virtual Environments
* Turn a $20 Home Router into a $500 Powerful Router with Tomato
* What is a Shell? The Basics
* Bash Scripting - Part 1 ... 1000.
* WINE - Running Windows Software
* Setting Up a Web Server and Reverse Proxy
* Desktop Setup Essentials (Install, Time, Authentication, Networking,
Printing,
  Accessing Remote systems, securing access to your system)
* X/Windows Tricks
* Remote Access to Linux - Network, Security, Shell, and GUI
* Remote Access Survey - ssh, ssh -X, rdesktop, VNC, NX
* Portable Devices and Linux
* FreeSwitch PBX + Skype
* Simple Web CGI Scripting
* Regular Expressions ... er ... R[Oo][cC][kK][!]+