[ale] I own xfınıty.com, what should I do with it

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Sun Jan 23 18:29:56 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>wrote:

> I purchased xfınıty.com (notice how their logo has no dots on the i
> characters) the moment I saw the logo almost a year ago. It's about to
> expire, so now I'm forced to decide what to do with it. I meant to
> point it at a page describing the evils of encrypted cable and how it
> crushes competition, prevents innovation, and stagnates improvements
> in the user experience. Clearly, I never did it.
>
> So, what should I do with it?

Your original idea sounds like the best one.

In my opinion offering to sell it is a bad idea.  Comcast will likely just
say get the bastard to their lawyers.  An alternative to selling it would be
to give it to someone or some organization (ie. EFF or
http://www.publicknowledge.org) with the intent of following up on your
original idea.

A site about customer service issues just won't have the same impact of the
larger issues the evils of encrypted cable, monopolies and the general
anti-competitive crap we see in so many industries today.

And things like Comcast buying NBC is likely to make it worse, not better.

Chuck