[ale] IPv6 tunnel create error-success!

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Jan 23 14:50:50 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 14:37 -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> Ubuntu, you're on your own.  I don't know.

Setup for a Debian or Ubuntu system is identical, using
their /etc/network.  For example, my tunnel is defined thus:

auto he0
iface he0 inet6 v4tunnel
  address <Local IPv6 endpoint>
  netmask 64
  endpoint <HE Endpoint>
  local <my systems IPv4 address>
  gateway <HE IPv6 endpoint>

Quite clean and simple.  And you can create an arbitrary number of
tunnels this way.  You can also create ipip tunnels with relative ease,
though it's not directly supported (you can work around that by calling
the ip command where needed as shown; $THERE is the global IPv4 remote
endpoint and $HERE is the global IPv4 local endpoint):

auto atsv4
iface atsv4 inet static
  address 172.16.3.4
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  mtu 1480
  pre-up ip tunnel add atsv4 mode ipip remote $THERE local $HERE ttl 255
  post-up ip route add 172.16.3.0/24 via 172.16.3.5 dev atsv4
  post-down ip tunnel del atsv4

I rather like the /etc/network/interfaces way of configuring networks.

Wasn't there an attempt at some point to unify all the different
network-setup standards using a single suite of central configuration
utilities as part of something like util-linux-ng or something?

	--- Mike