[ale] ICMP error creating tunnel, was-Re: Domain Registrar

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sun Jan 23 06:11:18 EST 2011

On 01/22/2011 10:16 PM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> It also depends, somewhat, on HOW it handles prot 41 when you pass it
> through.  Many consumer grade NAT's such as, off the shelf Linksys and
> other wireless I've tested, work just fine, OOB.  Others you have to
> enable prot 41 pass through.  Others manage to mangle it in a way that
> it just doesn't work.  I personally thing they mangle the state tables
> in such a way that they can't route it back but (because these are
> closed source boxes) I have no way to confirm that.  Peter Beiringer and
> I had a few discussions over this when we were talking about their ipv6
> init stuff (that's used in Fedora and RedHat and others) and prohibiting
> 6to4 and all.  Unfortunately, like most of the time you are dealing with
> NAT44, it's a crap shoot.

ok, so I installed a WRT54GL with DD-WRT on it. created an account at
Hurricane Electric. Not sure if it is just me or my environment, but
google/chrome made it impossible to hit the SUBMIT button to create a
tunnel, I had to use Opera.. Chrome just sat there looking stupid. Opera
at least started the process, BUT I got this back:

Error: Your IPv4 endpoint is unreachable or unstable. Please make sure
ICMP is not blocked. If you are blocking ICMP, please allow 66.220.2.74
through your firewall.

so, what do I do with DD-WRT to make this error go away?? I have a
static IP on the modem, if that helps.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800