[ale] Defective MoBo?

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 22:42:50 EST 2011

On 01/22/2011 11:36 AM, Ron Frazier wrote:
> Scott,
>
> I haven't been following this discussion too closely, but I thought I'd
> throw in my two cents regarding getting this board to work.  By, the
> way, if you wanted to switch brands, I have an MSI board that I'm
> running that I really like.  It has numerous indicator lights to show
> the status of everything, and a 2 digit LED display that shows the CPU
> temperature when it's not doing POST.  The board has nice heat sinks and
> heat pipes.  I'm not selling it, but they're readily available from the
> standard suppliers.  I got mine from Fry's.  Ubuntu likes it just fine.
> However, I will say that I'm not sure I have driver or kernel support
> for all the ports, like HDMI and firewire, etc.  Other than that, it
> works great.
>
> If you want to, or have to keep your board, I think you should go back
> to a very basic level and try to verify whether it is or is not working
> properly.  You may need access to another computer and the Internet to
> get this done.  Troubleshooting will also help you make your case to the
> manufacturer if it's defective.
>
> Strip the computer down to the minimum components.  Motherboard, power
> supply, RAM, CPU and cooler, on board graphics, monitor, keyboard.  For
> the moment, no HDD and no CD drive.  Boot it and hit whatever keystroke
> gets you into the BIOS.  Check the BIOS version and compare it to the
> company website from another machine.  If it's very old, you may want to
> flash the BIOS.  However, you can still do more troubleshooting.  If the
> BIOS won't boot at all, you have serious problems, possibly the CPU,
> RAM, or the MB.  We could address that if necessary.  Hopefully, BIOS
> will boot.  If it does, at least you have basic functionality of CPU and
> RAM and most of the MB.  There is usually a setting in there somewhere
> that says restore safe defaults and restore optimum defaults, or
> something like that.  Select the restore safe defaults setting.  Also,
> there may be a quick boot function, which may omit some of the power on
> self tests (POST).  If that function is there, turn it off.  Now, save
> the settings and reboot.  If you can see it on the screen, try to
> observe the memory test.  It should pass without errors.  Verify that
> you can get into all the menu options of the BIOS and at least observe
> them without changing.  Check the status screens and verify that it's
> recognizing the CPU properly, and that it's showing the right amount of
> RAM.  If all this works, this is a positive sign.  Find the BIOS setting
> that allows booting from a  CD.  I would set the boot order to HDD, CD,
> USB.  Save the settings and shut down.  If the computer tries to reboot,
> let it stabilize before turning the power off.  Reconnect the CD drive.
>
> Use another computer to download the ISO and create a boot disc for the
> Ultimate Boot CD ( http://ultimatebootcd.com/ ).  Put this disc in the
> [...]
Ron, I've pretty much done all of that all ready. The problem only
occurs during the kernel's initialization in the boot process, if I set
the BIOS to use any slot other than the onboard chip for boot. It goes
through POST fine, GRUB menu is displayed fine, as soon as I select the
kernel to boot it spews out several lines of the kernel initializing and
then stops. My guess is just before it gets to the entering LUKS
PassPhrase prompt. I was planning on trying a couple of other thins now
that I have the cable so I don't have to keep moving the TV over to hook
it up to my PC, everytime I want to try something else.

Anyway, about your MSI MoBo, which CPU is it for, AMD or Intel? Sounds
pretty good, I may even give ASUS another try in the future, but not
from any local sources, probably Newegg. I just can't believe the bad
luck I've been having, I feel like the little old man in the Lil Abner
comic strip that used to walk around with a storm cloud over his head
all the time. But then, if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any
luck :-)