[ale] kuro-box pro

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:15:11 EST 2011

Ouch dang it.  Seems like this one is a brick.

I let it sit for 30 minutes and watched the LINK/ACT light go from
flickering to steady ( I presume lookin' for a dhcp server and
failing, then falling back to the default static address of
192.168.11.150).  Then I plugged its ethernet port up to my IBM
Thinkpad 600x running Ubuntu 9.10  and set my ethernet device to an
address of "192.168.11.17".  I then ran "route -n" and verified that
the default route was "192.168.11.0".   ping(1) never got any packets
back, and telnet(1) reports that the port is closed.  When I try to
ping(1) a random address (e.g. "192.168.11.88") I get the proper
"Destination host unreachable" error.

So I ran nmap(1) against it  ("nmap -n 192.168.11.150").  nmap(1)
reports the correct MAC address (as printed on the bottom of the
machine), but says that every single port of the 1,000 it tried is
filtered. According to nmap(1)'s documentation, this means that the
packet it sent to that port was dropped.  Pressing the <reset> button
on the back of the box had no effect on this behavior.  Restarting
with the reset pin held down gives me a series of tones (presumably
complaining about the reset pin) but also no change in behavior.

Short of breakin' out the soldering iron and trying to contact the
UART on the board, I am a little out of ideas here.

-- CHS