[ale] fun fun changing Linux swap partition to a swap file

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Jan 20 21:20:21 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 13:29 -0500, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

<snip>

> In case you're interested, this works by Disk Utility (and other
> programs that support this mode of operation) actually being a
> multiprocess application.  One process runs as the normal user, and
> the
> other process (which I think is called by dbus or something) runs as
> the
> system superuser in order to perform a particular action on your
> behalf.
> It is relatively fine grained control, and as I understand it, it's
> possible to define new policies and whatnot.

I'm interested in all this stuff.  I love to learn things.  However, the
self imposed challenge and learning curve of maintaining my 3 computers
with 2 operating systems each plus my Dad's and my Son's and keeping it
all backed up is sometimes a formidable challenge.  Sometimes, I think I
do nothing else.  My Son said his laptop was running too slowly.  So, I
decided to add memory tonight.  Not hard, but it does take time, energy,
thought, and fuel.

> I seriously need to read up on the details of all that, though.  I
> probably haven't because while I do use Evolution, Empathy, and
> Chromium, for pretty much everything else, I live in a sea of
> terminals... or, sudo bang bang
> (http://mpathirage.com/sudo-bang-bang/).
>
>         --- Mike

The sudo-bang-bang thing is cool.  I sometimes hit the up arrow, home,
then type sudo in front of the prior command.

Ron