[ale] fun fun changing Linux swap partition to a swap file

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Jan 20 01:40:35 EST 2011

PS When you're resizing your partitions, if you intend to clone the
drive at any point, leave about 2.02 GB or 2077 MB unallocated at the
end of the drive.  This is an arbitrary number.

It turns out that identical drives are not identical.  I was trying to
clone Seagate 500 GB drive to a Seagate 500 GB drive of older vintage.
The cloning software said the destination drive was too small.  It turns
out that the destination drive had about 12 MB less space than the
source drive.  Therefore, I shrank the last partition by 2.02 GB.  Now
it clones just fine as long as I don't clone unallocated space.  Go
figure.

Ron