[ale] how do I increase Linux swap file size?

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Jan 18 10:46:06 EST 2011

Swap along with real memory is "virtual memory".   Many programs
preallocate virtual memory at start up so even if you're not doing
paging (nothing really swaps any more) it is often a good idea to have
swap to allow more programs to do this preallocation.

There's a good write up here:

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/8208-all-about-linux-swa
p-space