[ale] Yet ANOTHER reason to love Linux

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 19:48:53 EST 2011

My color laser printer died, so today was the day I picked out a
replacement.  I settled on an HP Officejet Pro 8000.  Hopefully it's a good
printer.  (Kudos to HP for their longstanding support of Linux and actually
mentioning on their website that the printer has a Linux driver.)

The reason to love Linux today is the ease of installation.  It took me
about 3 minutes to install the printer on my Ubuntu desktop, and that
process auto-detected the printer and automatically selected the right
driver.

On my wife's Vi$ta machine, however, I had to insert a disc and wait.  Then
I pushed some buttons and waited.  It's probably installing a ton of
applications I really don't want, and 20 minutes later, I'm still waiting on
it to finish.  What a drag.

The more I work with M$ products and Linux, the more convinced I am that
Linux is becoming the easier OS to use.

Josh Kite