[ale] Photo Management

John jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Jan 11 14:48:14 EST 2011

My photo collection seems tiny by comparison. Sadly, I doubt I can help
much, but some of this information would be helpful for others trying to
help you.
- which file formats?  RAW, JPG, PNG, GIF?
- Any specific tools you need the answer to work with? GIMP, Photoshop,
others?
- Are all the files online, offline or is there a migration strategy needed?
- Is searching/viewing from a central location acceptable, like a web
server?
- Is EXIF accceptable for the metadata inside the files? Do you need
more metadata capabilities?
- Are you willing to write some CGI (or other language) to update EXIF data?
- I'd be interested in how you organize that number of photos today.
- I use a 2000 version of My Photo Gallery
http://fuzzymonkey.net/software/photogallery/ and have hacked the PERL
for search and GPS metadata links to google maps. I'd be afraid to let
my search method free on a DB the size of yours though.  There are 5
projects at freshmeat for Photo Gallery software
http://freshmeat.net/tags/photo-gallery .

Lifehacker has done a few articles on photo organization
http://lifehacker.com/search/photo%20organization/ which may be helpful.
I suspect you will want to find what professional photographers who are
also nerds do. I fear you'll only find platform specific answers, however.

This is simplistic for your size collection, but
http://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/01/05/tips-for-digital-photo-organiz-storage-and-archival
is how I do it. My collection is about 10K photos and 25GB just for the
source files, not including thumbnails, descriptions, and alternate
sized files. Those are about 2.4GB.

If you do find a good answer, please let me know. I'm not unhappy with
my method and I've never found a better solution.
It goes without saying - backup, backup, backup.