[ale] Best way to get dual display working (take 20k)

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 12:32:30 EST 2011

On 01/08/2011 10:58 AM, John wrote:
> Dual monitors for nVidia can be a hassle to:
>
> http://blog.jdpfu.com/2010/09/27/kernel-update-reinstall-nvidia-dual-monitor-modules
> and
>
> http://blog.jdpfu.com/2010/05/12/ubuntu-10-04-dual-monitor-with-nvidia-driver
>

> On 01/08/2011 12:00 AM, Scott Castaline wrote:
>> Hey all, got it. I did finally find out about an ati command that
>> creates the xorg.conf for multiple video cards/displays. Now I've just
>> got to tweak it, to get it where I want it. I tried to do add the 2nd
>> card in manually but the best I got was an all white screen with 4
>> equally spaced vertical green lines. I am now able to get 2 separate
>> desktops when I log in. Haven't tried using the PCIe card as my boot
>> display yet, so I don't know if it's worth keeping the HD 5770 if the HD
>> 3650 seems to be working as a secondary port.
I find it interesting that the nVIDIA monitor utility is so similar to
ATI/AMD's Catalyst at least in appearance. I find that Catalyst is very
in flexible with setting my screen resolution for the HDTV. I may just
try tweaking it directly form xorg.conf editing. My future plans are to
try booting with the PCIe card as the boot display now works, if so then
I can move up to the HD 5770 card and connect the ViewSonic to that
using the onboard video for the VIZIO. I'm also wondering if there
really is any advantage to using Catalyst and just go back to the OSS
with xorg.conf to set up video instead of dynamic setup at boot.