[ale] Better ISP?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Jan 6 13:32:01 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 10:56 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Or you can do what AtNex suggested to me -- cannibalize one of the
> > regular phone filters and wire it into the DMARC.
> >

> Easier: put a splitter at the demark and filter one leg. Use that side or
> the house phone setup and the unfiltered for the dsl modem.

I have one of those "structured wiring panels" and had a whole house DSL
filter board installed in there for a while.  The line from the DMARC
ran to the panel and I tapped off the DSL modem on a dedicated line off
that board and the rest of the house off the analog side of that fiter.
A few years back I was having some S/N ratio problems on that particular
DSL (I had two at the time) and the phone company decided they wanted to
beef up the filtering a bit more so they installed one of their DSL
filters in the DMARC and then brought the DSL in on a dedicated pair (I
had several spares in the two cables running from the DMARC to the
panel).  That improved the S/N ratio as did some of the work they did on
my line and the problems went away and never returned.  If you're having
problems like that, they can and will install a nice filter in your
DMARC and bring the DSL and POTS in on separate filtered lines for you.
Their filter fits the DMARC footprint and looks like one of their surge
blocks, only fatter.  I then used my whole house filter board on the
other line after that where I had been using a couple of those modules
for the few devices plugged into there.  Filtering at the DMARC is
definitely better than an off the shelf whole house filter inside the
house and that's better than the little plug modules.

Regards,
Mike