[ale] starting network in Kubuntu

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 11:15:59 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 5:48 AM, Jim Philips <briarpatch.jim at gmail.com> wrote:
> I unexpectedly hosed my KDE setup in Kubuntu in trying to resolve some
> dependencies. This would be a solvable problem, but I have no X session
> available with KDE dead. And I don't have a network connection at the
> command prompt...not even if I plug in ethernet directly. Here are some
> things I have tried:
> ifup eth0
> ifup ath0
> ifup wlan0
> start networking
> start network-manager
> dhclient
> None of this leads to any connection. In the old days, I had a connection
> automatically on starting. Now, nothing seems to happen until someone logs
> in to an X session. How can I get my network connection?

The problem is that kubuntu uses networkmanager.  If you've configured
an interface w/ that it doesn't define things in /etc/interfaces like
you might expect.  As a consequence, ifup/ifdown don't work.

I think the right thing to do is install cnetworkmanager (it's in the
standard repo) which provides a commandline interface to
networkmanager.  Of course, that can be a little tricky if you don't
have network access.  Maybe you can download it to a flash drive on
another machine.

Michael