[ale] Better ISP?

John jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Jan 5 03:59:57 EST 2011

If you are still on dial up and price is a concern, take a look at the
extremely basic DSL from AT&T at $14.95/month. You probably can't use
VoIP over that connection, but my mother has been on it for the last 4
yrs after holding out on dialup for 15 yrs over price. She runs Linux
... now and will never go back to dialup. She likes the simplicity of
always-on ISP service.

You may need a Windows VM to use the AT&T DSL installer these days, but
after that you don't need Windows again. Seems they want to make the DSL
router setup, email setup, etc .... "easy" for their customers.  You can
fight with support, but you will probably just get told they only
support Windows and not get anywhere. It is unlikely that any support
people will be allowed to help you with Linux even if they could. The
support folks must stay on-script.  OTOH, if you know what you are
doing, I've heard that manually configuring the router and email setup
can be accomplished if you can get the necessary information without the
Windows installer.  I haven't heard whether the installer works under
WINE or not.

Good luck.