[ale] Fuser questions

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 22:53:44 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 10:11 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
> > On 01/04/2011 02:56 PM, James Sumners wrote:
> >> I think that might be your distributions version of fuser. The one
> >> packaged with Debian Lenny isn't showing this behavior for me[1].
> >>
> >> [1] -- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1038672/lsof-fuser.png
> >
> > Thanks for looking into this with me. After testing on some more distros
> > I agree that the behavior has changed in newer fuser version. The
> > confusion that prompted my email was the behavior on RHEL4 (ugh).
> >

> I feel your pain. I administer six RHEL 4 servers. Of course, fuser
> isn't installed by default (found this out a couple days ago when I
> needed it). And, shock of all shocks, neither is lsof. Since
> installing either would have been too much trouble I just gave up and
> did whatever it was a different way.
>
> I _hate_ Red Hat.

I _like_ Red Hat but RHEL 4 makes my blood pressure rise after working with
RHEL 5 and now 6 and loads of spanking new Fedoras. Someone needed a rhel4
x86_64 install for a test box for a test install of a test app that doesn't
have the rhel5 version out of beta yet.

?!?!?!?!? rhel 5 app not out of beta ?!?!?!? Do these people know what year
it is???

Install took 3 days due to not being able to find old enough hardware.
Installer would lock up at the pci bus probe as the chipset was too new.

RHEL6 has some new stuff that is just now in Fedora14. SSSD appeared in F14
and almost simultaneously in RHEL6. Spacewalk has (very) limited postgresql
support in 1.2(1.3).

> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.