[ale] dd hard drive cloning over a network

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 15:12:36 EST 2011

Oops, I should have re-read my answer at that link. I thought I
covered doing it over the network, but I didn't.

1) Boot both machines with a rescue cd (e.g. [1]).
2) On the destination machine start a listener: `nc -l 5000 | dd
bs=4096 of=/dev/sda` (assuming /dev/sda is the disk you want to write
to)
3) On the source machine start the imaging: `dd bs=4096 if=/dev/sda |
nc 192.168.1.5 5000` (assuming 192.168.1.5 is the destination machine
and /dev/sda is the drive you want to image).

You can apply suggestions from my previously linked answer to get time
estimates on the clone.

[1] -- http://www.sysresccd.org/

--
James Sumners