[ale] How to test your public internet connection for open ports

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Feb 23 19:08:37 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 16:03, Ben Coleman <oloryn at benshome.net> wrote:
> On 2/12/2011 1:38 PM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>> Static addresses:
>> Addresses manually assigned just like IPv6 (DON'T DO IT).
>
> I think you meant 'just like IPv4' here, but I'm wondering: what do you
> do for machines intended to provide services outside your own network?
> You would manually assign addresses to them, wouldn't you?  (or am I
> missing the context here?)

What I do is I use stateless autoconfiguration, and then take that
address and put it in DNS—all of my IPv6 accessible systems use that
strategy.

What I have yet to do is come up with a method of generating all of my
DNS configuration such that I can provide an IPv6 prefix and have the
records themselves generated automatically.  I might actually opt not
to do that and instead use a setup where my hosts just use DDNS to
update the DNS server.