[ale] make some apps/scripts run as root

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Feb 22 14:59:23 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 14:34 -0500, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Friends:

> How do I run a few scripts like my IDE launcher, the Websphere server etc.,
> to run as sudo aka root without prompting me for the password each time ?

Ah...  First obvious question (particularly since you mentioned a
Webshere server) is WHY?  That server does not seem like a maintenance
task that should run as root.  As a hard fast rule do NOT run something
as the superuser if there is any conceivable way to avoid it.  Just
don't.  I also don't see why you need an IDE launcher running as root.
You would need root to do installs but not run an IDE.  I build rpm
packages and never touch root until I go to install them.

All that being said...  If you are absolutely obsessed with doing it,
you should look at sudo.  Quite honestly, as a security expert, I would
feel it unethical to explain any more than that because if you can't
figure it out from that hint, then you really shouldn't be contemplating
doing what you are doing.

> Also how do you start any gui app minimized, I need to run VMWare tools as
> root and minimized.

You're in a virtualized environment that needs this?  Presuming they
built those tools properly, they should conform to the general X toolkit
specification.  If that's the case then the "-iconic" option may be what
you are looking for.

man X

> -Narahari

Regards,