[ale] Microcenter Free USB sticks

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Feb 21 14:24:01 EST 2011

This inspired me to do a bit of spur of the moment testing. I have a PNY
Attache 4GB memory stick, which is supposed to be pretty good. I think
it said high speed on the package, but don't remember for sure. I did
some testing writing 5 Ubuntu ISO's to the memory stick and reading from
the stick.

For Linux, I just dragged files in the file manager.

Linux - copy TO stick FROM internal HDD - 9.6 MBps
Linux - copy FROM stick TO internal HDD - 18.3 MBps

For comparison.

Linux - copy FROM internal sata 5400 RPM HDD TO same HDD different
folder - ext4 -> ext4 - 29.4 MBps (It seems to me this should be much
faster.)
Linux - copy FROM internal sata 5400 RPM HDD TO same HDD different
folder - ext4 -> NTFS - 12.1 MBps (I found this interesting.)

I think about 30 MBps is as fast as I ever get on USB, even to / from a HDD.

Now, here's how Windows did. I used the Teracopy application to copy.

Windows - copy TO stick FROM internal HDD - 10 MBps (Slightly faster
than Linux.)
Windows - copy FROM stick TO internal HDD - 15 MBps (Slightly slower
than Linux.)

For comparison.

Windows - copy FROM internal sata 5400 RPM HDD TO same HDD different
folder - NTFS -> NTFS - 18 - 23 MBps (Slightly slower than Linux ext4 ->
ext4.)

Here's another interesting point. One other time, on another computer, I
did some testing from ONE internal SATA 7200 RPM drive to ANOTHER
internal identical drive on a different sata port.

Linux ~ 30 MBps
Windows ~ 60 MBps

Windows was twice as fast. Something other than the interface is slowing
Linux down. However, I was thinking I should be over 200 MBps on both,
considering the 3 Gbps interfaces. Also, none of these experiments even
make the CPU breathe hard.

Sincerely,

Ron