[ale] myth without tv part

scott scott at sboss.net
Mon Feb 21 13:17:07 EST 2011

short answer is yes.

longer answer.  MythTV is a full multi-media experience that is being
built as we go along.  I have ripped DVDs (that I own) into MPG4 files
and were able to watching them flawlessly from MythTV.  Just place the
movies in the directory you specified during the configuration part of
Myth for "Videos".  Then just go into MythTV (front end) and tell it
to rescan the directory.  Then the movies appear.  They appear as
filenames.  But you can then right click, update metadata to get the
details of the movie in the system.  Tedious but it works.  And
generally we are not placing large sums of new movies in the directory
anyways.

if you have any specific questions about running MythTV without a TV
card, let me know offline.

Scott