[ale] ALE NW meeting topic

Joshua Roberts jrtroberts at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 12:28:56 EST 2011

Hello ALErs,

I believe that this is the topic for the February meeting.  I believe that
it will be this Thursday, 2/24  @ 7:30 pm  on the
Southern Polytechnic campus in Room M100.  I will verify this information
ASAP and repost to the list.

Joshua

 Using Linux as a Workstation OS

               "A Computing Platform for Scientist and Engineers"

      Over the years the term, workstation, has been used to describe
  a wide range of computer hardware and software configurations.
  Most of these definitions describe a workstation as a computer
  where serious technical work is done.  Modern PC hardware and the
  Linux OS provide the potential to be configured as a workstation.
  At a minimum, this means including an SSH server to a typical
  desktop Linux configuration.  Other services can be run to expand
  the capability of workstation to meet the needs of a technical
  group of users.

      In this seminar, the configuration of such a workstation is
  described.  In addition, configuration of the user environment
  is described to provide a computing environment to support the
  local and distributed needs of a technical-oriented user.

      The seminor mainly provides an overview of the configurations
  with the goal of showing the potential of a workstation.  The
  details of configuring a workstation will be included on a
  Scientific Programming web site hosted in the CSE Department of
  SPSU.  There is also a direct link to the Unix information at
  this site.

       Scientific Programming:   http://cse.spsu.edu/teidson/SciProg.html

       Unix:  http://cse/spsu.edu/Unix