[ale] changing dash to bash in ubuntu

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sun Feb 20 15:10:48 EST 2011

On 02/18/2011 09:46 PM, James Sumners wrote:
> The problem
> is that they claim dash to be a POSIX shell, but when people report
> bugs[1] in dash they get written off as "not a POSIX bug" when in fact
> they are..

That's pretty much the opposite of what I take away from that link.
Colin Watson's comment seems pretty clear-

> As far as non-POSIX constructs go, Paul Smith is right on the money with his comments in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dash/+bug/141481/comments/4, I think. The proper analogy is a C compiler: it is not a bug in the C compiler if it stops accepting code that doesn't conform to the standard and doesn't declare that it uses an extension (in this case, by saying #! /bin/bash). This is of course not to say that the real dash bugs that have been identified here should not be fixed.

If you look at the individual bugs linked to from bug #141481, the cases
where dash was failing to conform to POSIX have been fixed in dash; i.e.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dash/+bug/92189
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dash/+bug/105634

--
All the best,