[ale] Two offices, one data pool

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at activedg.com
Thu Feb 17 14:53:25 EST 2011

> I've tackled a similar issue, but it's a single office with multiple
> folks modifying the same files in one location.  What I currently use,
> and don't recommend for your situation is, simply place the files on a
> Samba server and folks go at it.  If one person is editing, and another
> opens the same file, it's read only.
>
> The proper solution is some sort of database application rather then a
> bunch of files being shared.  That's not likely to happen either.

I am fairly sure the clustered filesystems handle locking. I mean is
there any other way to do it other than open ro? I do not know of any
other solution that would keep track of changes and merge them but who
decides what to merge? Who decides which change to the same line is the
correct one?

We use svn for all our changes but even then, someone could interfere if
they check in what you try to ci but at least there is a diff trail. And
some thing merge nicely without needing to review both changes.