[ale] Two offices, one data pool

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Feb 17 12:27:43 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 12:06 -0500, John Pilman wrote:
> Well forget about me mentioning Zoho, but how many people are in the
> smaller office?  If there are not too many, VPN and enough remote
> desktops to go around may help.

A routed VPN would not be a bad idea.  I have something already setup
like that using IP-in-IP tunneling with IPsec for security already,
connecting a limited subset of my home network to the office so that I
can do things like manage desktops out-of-hours using tsclient.  I also
have some MySQL replication going on that uses that routed subnetwork.
All of that is (presently) occurring using RFC 1918 subnetworks, though
I am hoping to get rid of that just as soon as the Windows networking
infrastructure can be made to use IPv6.

Also, there aren't enough systems to do remote desktop, since that would
require two PCs for every one remote user.  Non-server versions of
Windows seem to _really_ dislike having two users connected to a
workstation at the same time.  Hell, they don't like an Administrator
connecting at the same time as a user is logged on to the console; if I
login using tsclient, it bumps off the active user.  Though my
understanding is that once I have some sort of AD infrastructure in
place, it becomes possible to do things like have an administrator take
over a user session in order to more easily facilitate troubleshooting
and the like.  At least, that's my hope.

I absolutely loathe the "remote assistance" thing that is built-in to
Windows.  It's so difficult to make work without jumping through a bunch
of hoops, because it makes absolutely zero effort to be friendly to
networks that do not have end-to-end connectivity...

	--- Mike