[ale] Linux GUI or CLI backup tool

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Feb 15 23:39:53 EST 2011

On 02/14/2011 12:05 PM, Sergio Chaves wrote:
> I currently use TAR to backup my PCs at home - not familiar with rsync.
> Wife was converted to linux last year and love it (and so do I,  no more
> reinstalls, yeah!).
> The thing is that she got into photography and wants to manage her own
> backups.
> Is there a good, intuitive, linux GUI tool that uses Rsync? I would like to
> just sync the directories after the 1st backup is done.

If you want backup software that uses rsync (without being in your face
about it like grsync) look at

https://launchpad.net/sbackup
http://backintime.le-web.org/

> I am also ok with options other than rsync or a script that she can start from
> a desktop shortcut.

If you're open to alternatives to rsync, take a look at

https://launchpad.net/deja-dup (unison)
http://andrewprice.me.uk/weblog/all/pybackpack (rdiff-backup)

All of these are in the Ubuntu repositories and integrate decently with
GNOME. If you want to see KDE options or options not in the Ubuntu
repository, look at http://www.delicious.com/sciurus/backup+software+gui

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts