[ale] SUSE changes hands, QT development, virtualization

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Feb 15 20:33:57 EST 2011

Hello all,

I just picked up one of those large flashy UK based Linux magazines at
the bookstore.  This one is Linux User & Developer -
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk .  It's Issue 95.  It doesn't really give a
date.  Similar ones include Linux Format, and Linux User Pro.  I really
like these magazines, but I hate the price, $ 16 + tax for this one.  I
wish there was a cheaper alternative in addition to Linux Journal, which
I also like.  It's priced like a conventional magazine.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention some topics in this one, in case some of
you want to get the magazine.  The article that made me buy it was the
QT development article, but the rest look really cool too.

* Novell and SUSE Linux Sold to Attachmate (for $ 2.2 Billion),
Microsoft Chips in 450 Million for 882 Undisclosed Patents.
      [Ron: I don't know what this means, but it can't be good.]

* Is the Spirit of Open Source Being Distorted?

* Programming Arduino - Part 1

* Build Packages for Multiple Platforms with the OpenSUSE Build Service

* Coding With the QT Framework
      [Ron: This one look very cool.]

* Reviews
      - Virtualization Hypervisors
           [Ron: They didn't include VirtualBox, but VirtualBoxOSE is on
the DVD along with a tutorial.  I don't know if this is different from
the Oracle one or not.  I'm hoping someone will fork that.]
      - D-Link Boxee Box
      - Toshiba Folio 100
      - Popcorn Hour A-210

There's lots more, but these are some of the best ones.

Ron