[ale] SUSE package manager and install empathy

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Feb 15 08:49:39 EST 2011

Not that it matters but I also prefer rpm/yum over the deb stuff.  I agree that rpm without yum can sometimes not be fun but there seems little reason not to use yum on rpm based distributions.

However, I can't see why anyone would base current opinion on ancient history.  Imagine if you decided never to buy a mobile phone because the one you had in 1990 was bigger than an army walkie-talkie or the one you had in the 80s required it to be hard wired into your car.   Technology evolves faster than people apparently.

NB:  RedHat 6 = Ancient version of RedHat (back in 2004 the oldest systems I inherited for Linux were running 7.3 or 9).

RedHat Enteprise Linux (a/k/a) RHEL is up to version 6.0 now and should not be confused with what was formerly called just RedHat 6.  RHEL was already at version 3 in 2004 so back then was already 6 releases beyond the old RedHat 6.