[ale] SUSE package manager and install empathy

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Feb 15 07:10:28 EST 2011

Damon Chesser wrote:
> On 2/14/2011 11:02 PM, James Sumners wrote:
>> SuSE 5.1 or 5.2 was the first distro I used. Then Debian Hamm (which
>> relied on the horrible deselect), followed by Red Hat 6.0/6.1. Later,
>> I gave OpenSUSE 10.0/10.1 and some Fedora versions. Of the RPM
>> distros, I like OpenSUSE the best. However, I have found that the apt
>> imitations to be painfully slow updating their database and installing
>> packages. Also, unless it has been fixed, the net installer for
>> OpenSUSE is just about useless.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, you had to know the full path to the boot
>> image on the remote server so that you could type it yourself. And
>> then it would be a gamble if it actually worked without trying it
>> several times.
>>
>> YaST has always been the best feature of SUSE.
>
> At the risk of starting flames:  Really?  Yast was the thing I always
> wanted to like about suse, but everytime I fired it up, it would take
> for ever, maybe some yast function would work, most often it would not.
> I kept trying various versions of suse, same results.    Chased me right
> off of it.  Never been back.

I've not used SuSE for a while, since after Novell bought them and then
got in bed with Microsoft.  But, prior to that, Yast was simply
fantastic.  As I recall, the only tool of it's kind at the time.  No one
else had a single tool to handle system configuration.  Worked great for
me back then and one of the primary reasons I used SuSE for so long.