[ale] SUSE package manager and install empathy

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 23:02:38 EST 2011

SuSE 5.1 or 5.2 was the first distro I used. Then Debian Hamm (which
relied on the horrible deselect), followed by Red Hat 6.0/6.1. Later,
I gave OpenSUSE 10.0/10.1 and some Fedora versions. Of the RPM
distros, I like OpenSUSE the best. However, I have found that the apt
imitations to be painfully slow updating their database and installing
packages. Also, unless it has been fixed, the net installer for
OpenSUSE is just about useless.

If I remember correctly, you had to know the full path to the boot
image on the remote server so that you could type it yourself. And
then it would be a gamble if it actually worked without trying it
several times.

YaST has always been the best feature of SUSE.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59