[ale] SUSE package manager and install empathy

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 19:52:17 EST 2011

I got burned real hard upgrading rpm (the tool) in Red Hat's Cartman
release. Basically, it deleted its installed package database so it
had no idea what was installed. Plus, RPM suffers from horrible
dependency problems.

The benefit of debs is that they were developed with dependency
resolution and management in mind. So the tools around the package
make it awesome. Stuff like yum, et al, have made dealing with RPM a
lot better. But like I said, I got burned, installed Slink and never
looked back (except now I have to maintain 5 RHEL4 servers :(

I love Arch. It's package management is modeled after dpkg/apt and
port, but creating them is amazingly simple (building a deb is no
trivial task).