[ale] Linux GUI or CLI backup tool

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Feb 14 13:07:22 EST 2011

For home use, Back-In-Time http://backintime.le-web.org/ is great. Easy
to use GUI.  Setup Mom's PC with it in under 5 minutes and never looked
back.  It uses hardlinks in the backup area to efficient storage.
Hourly snapshots take seconds.  If you are only using UNIX file systems,
it is great.  To get networked backups, you need to use sshfs or some
other networked file system to hide the remote-ness of the storage.
Still, it is so easy and just works. Check your distro's repo for it.
Restores are a copy since the backup area appears with timestamped
directory structures.

If you need to mix file systems, I use rdiff-backup on Linux and
Windows. The command syntax is like rsync, but does so much more -
incremental, differential, networked backups. Very efficient on storage
and time. The downside is that client and server versions of
rdiff-backup must match. That can be problematic.  Restore is a copy for
the last backup made. To access earlier versions, other rdiff-backup
commands are needed to get any other version back.

If you want enterprise level backups at home (remote, encrypted, etc...)
Duplicati (GUI for Duplicity) can work. However, it is slow.  Weekly
full backups + incrementals. It is easy to setup. Did I mention how slow
it is? The backup area is not human readable. Think "catalog."

Rsync is great for mirroring files but it isn't a complete backup
solution.  For example, if there is corruption that isn't recognized
immediately, you are likely to replicate that corruption. Same for viruses.

I hope others will post what they use with Pros/Cons. There's always a
better way, right?