[ale] [offlist]How to test your public internet connection for open ports

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at activedg.com
Fri Feb 11 16:22:49 EST 2011

Ron Frazier wrote:
> Hi Wolf,
>
> OK.  Public acknowledgment.  Michael W. and Michael T. and others
> participating in this discussion are experts in their fields.  I have
> not intentionally personally attacked anyone here in any way.
>
> I appreciate the discussion, even if it's been somewhat difficult.  One
> problem with posting "interesting" topics is that I get 5 replies and
> reply to them and they get 5 replies and it grows exponentially and
> becomes overwhelming.  I'm enjoying learning things though.
>
> Don't know if I'll make it to the Linux Fest.  It's a pretty long drive
> for me from Cumming.  There's also the ALE general meeting on the 17th
> and the Atlanta Hobby Robot club is meeting this Saturday for the Robot
> Builders Morning Out, which is like an informal jam session.

They know their stuff. What they discussed was logical.

NAT == Never designed for security therefore not a security technique.
ICMP == Dropping packets does not hide the host.
If you give advice about security AND host a related site at least make
it accurate irregardless of who the intended target is.

It is all straightforward.

I really liked the relation between IPv6 and no firewall to IPv4 with
all hosts behind a firewall. Actually, I enjoyed a lot of the discussion.

RCR