[ale] I have fallen in love with Truecrypt

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Feb 11 16:05:52 EST 2011

> It's like a seatbelt: I'm not planning on getting into a wreck, but
> I'll wear my seatbelt anyway.  Never know when it will come in handy.
>
> (Oh yeah, and I have this crazy notion that the 1st, 4th, and 5th
> amendments -- among others -- still apply to me.)
Exactly.  If nobody uses encryption except people breaking laws, the
police will assume anyone using encryption is breaking the law.  If all
citizens used encryption, then we protect the people who really need
it.  This goes doubly for encrypted email and web traffic.  We all need
to do our parts as often as possible by encrypting everything regardless
of whether we need that protection or not.

I'd ask this ...
"why does almost everyone use a first class letter and not postcards all
the time?"

How is computing any different?  If I wanted the world to know
something, I'd post it on FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, my blog or on this listsrv.

The real reason I encrypt my laptop ... it is a portable device. When it
is lost or stolen or stuck at Chinese customs, I'd like to know that my
private data isn't accessible to anyone unless they have many thousands
of computers to put at the task for a few years.  OTOH, I wouldn't take
my main laptop to China. I'd take a throw-away Eee and if it left my
sight, I'd sell it on eBay when I got home.  Same for a cell phone on
that trip.