[ale] PC specs-AMD chipset

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Fri Feb 11 13:25:03 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 09:57 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I am thinking about getting a new desktop.. does anyone know much about
> the AMD chip:
> AMD Phenom™ II X6 1075T + ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB
>
> any better/worse than Intel I5 ( I3...whatever..) I've never run an AMD chip

Well, with the release of Sandy Bridge, AMD has nothing, NOTHING close
to it.  Of course, Intel has recalled millions of MB because of a bad
chipset that causes sata 3GB/s drives to slowly slow down, then stop
totally.  If you use SATA 6GB/s or some sort of controller card (SAS
anybody, or raid) this is not a problem.  If you are using SATA 3GB/s
drives, you will have to wait for the correction to hit the market.

Take a look at reviews of Sandy Bridge.  It is quite impressive.  As
someone said, time moves on.  I have not had an Intel chip in over a
decade.

HTH
--
Damon