[ale] I have fallen in love with Truecrypt

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 11 12:02:53 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 08:50 -0500, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> If you encrypt everything including unimportant stuff it makes it
> harder for the bad guys to figure out which is the important stuff.

This is one case where the concept of "security by obscurity" isn't
necessarily evil.

> For similar reasons I shred junk mail in addition to real mail.   If
> someone is going to take the time to try to piece together stuff I
> like the idea that they'll just see an invitation to visit the new car
> wash site.

Nice.  :)

I don't shred everything, but I do much the same thing.  I try to make
it one part of innocuous stuff to three or four parts of sensitive
stuff.  The way my shredder works, that ought to be enough to fool
anything but the most sophisticated of analyses, and if someone wants to
waste their resources on me, well, whatever.

That said, anything that I can take absolutely no chances with, I do
burn.  Why?  Because I could write a program that would use my scanner
to reconstitute documents given sufficient time and effort.

However, I've only done that for two documents in the past year.

> We can neither confirm nor deny that we work for the CIA...

:-)

	--- Mike