[ale] How to test your public internet connection for open ports

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Feb 11 11:31:49 EST 2011

Hi Michael W.,

I'll have to respond to other messages later.  I've spent the entire
week typing emails.  I tried the test to your address.  I'll have to try
the test to mine later.

ron at dell-i1525-1:~$ telnet www.wittsend.com 12345
Trying 130.205.32.81...
ron at dell-i1525-1:~$

The reply took about 1 second.

Actually, I never said I was blocking all ICMP at the router level.  I
said I was blocking ping, because I have it set that way, and I didn't
know about the rest.  I also said I was getting green lights on Steve's
test.  You'd have to watch with a sniffer or examine logs, which my
router doesn't have, to determine exactly what his test does.

What is interesting, is that I have Firestarter on the PC set to filter
ICMP.  Perhaps it shouldn't be.  Anyway, if that reply came in by ICMP,
I don't know how I saw it at all.

Sincerely,

Ron