[ale] no putting swap on ssd

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Feb 8 14:42:54 EST 2011

We were discussing this in another thread recently. I did some impromptu
testing. If I recall correctly, on my machine with 4 GB of RAM, I was
able to open about 10 apps and about 20 tabs in Firefox before Ubuntu
10.04 started hitting swap. On a machine with 1 GB of RAM, all it took
was 3 apps and about 5 tabs. On a machine with 8 GB of RAM, it took
about 15 apps and 40 tabs. May numbers may be a bit off, as I didn't go
look up the prior thread.

My conclusions were:

1 GB RAM - definitely need swap space or there is a big chance of
crashing the system
4 GB RAM - may, on occasion, need swap, if using system heavily
8 GB RAM - will almost never need swap, unless taxing the machine very hard

Nevertheless, I have 8 GB on each machine, to virtually eliminate any
chance of a RAM exhaustion crash, and because it's easy to keep all my
machines configured the same way.

Ron