[ale] V6 question

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 10:37:08 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 07:25 -0500, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
>> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> > NAT was designed fundamentally as a way to multiply one IP into multiple.
>> >
>> > That is not needed with IPv6 because you can have an IP for every hair
>> > on your head.
>
>> Don't know where I read it, but I read that ipv6 will provide enough ip
>> addresses such that you could have one ip for every square inch of the
>> earth.  So, I assume you mean each of us would have enough IPs for every
>> hair on each of our heads. According to google, the average person has
>> '100.000-150.000, some estimates going up to 200.000' hairs.  On the
>> other hand, there are 1.96 x 1017 square inches on the earth. ;)
>
>> So, anyone know how many ip addresses ipv6 will provide?
>
> End to end...
>
> 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456
>
> But that number is meaningless.  Let's get to some working numbers...
>
> Number of host addresses in a /64 subnet (local addresses on your wire -
> network with only a single subnet):
>
> 18,446,744,073,709,551,616

Mike,

When IPv6 is truly rolled, should we expect each house with broadband
to get a full /64?  ie.  A few hundred million /64s used just for US
household broadband access?

And would that entire /64 likely be dynamically or statically assigned
by the ISP.  ie. How will my Comcast Cable Modem / initial router work
from a inside my house LAN perspective.  Will I have a known /64 for
my the long term, or might it change if I have an extended power
outage, etc.

Geoffrey, when I said you'd get billions per house, I was assuming a
full /64 per house and my number was why off, it's 18 billion billion
per /64!

Thanks
Greg