[ale] [OT] clam av for windows

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 09:51:09 EST 2011

f-prot. highly effective and very affordable. The windows world
requires ancillary tools that MUST be used.

Sadly, most windows users are not competent enough as baby sys-admins
to be left alone on their systems. Part of me says the systems is sold
at <local retailer> with a time out on the system working at all. once
the antivirus has not been updated in 30 days, the system refuses to
function until it is cleared by a pro at the repair shop.

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Tim Watts <tim at cliftonfarm.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 20:48 -0500, Mike Harrison wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Tim Watts wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone have experience with this? Is it a decent product?
>>
>> I've used it, under Linux, to remove things from Winders drives.
>> Solved my minor issues... not sure how it does on the really nasty stuff.
>> For them you are often best to wipe and re-install Winders..
>> or wipe (including fdisk/mbr) and Upgrade to Linux ;)
>>

> Well, upgrading to Linux has a definite appeal for me but my friend
> makes her living with Word so I'd rather not mess with that arrangement.
> She's "pretty sure" she has anti-virus software but doesn't think the
> sigs are up-to-date. I suspect she has some sort of trial version that's
> expired.
>
> After reading more on the web site, Clam for windows doesn't seem quite
> ready for prime time. Seems it only looks at executables but they plan
> to broaden the scope eventually. I don't think the *nix version has this
> limitation so I don't quite understand why this windows version does.

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.