[ale] [OT] clam av for windows

Tim Watts tim at cliftonfarm.org
Mon Feb 7 22:06:46 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 20:48 -0500, Mike Harrison wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Tim Watts wrote:
>
> > Anyone have experience with this? Is it a decent product?
>
> I've used it, under Linux, to remove things from Winders drives.
> Solved my minor issues... not sure how it does on the really nasty stuff.
> For them you are often best to wipe and re-install Winders..
> or wipe (including fdisk/mbr) and Upgrade to Linux ;)

Well, upgrading to Linux has a definite appeal for me but my friend
makes her living with Word so I'd rather not mess with that arrangement.
She's "pretty sure" she has anti-virus software but doesn't think the
sigs are up-to-date. I suspect she has some sort of trial version that's
expired.

After reading more on the web site, Clam for windows doesn't seem quite
ready for prime time. Seems it only looks at executables but they plan
to broaden the scope eventually. I don't think the *nix version has this
limitation so I don't quite understand why this windows version does.