[ale] no putting swap on ssd

Sparr sparr0 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:52:01 EST 2011

This is mostly bogus out-of-date information. Yes, SSDs (and other
solid state storage like SD cards) have a limited lifetime, but it far
exceeds their useful lifetime these days.

Assume we have wear leveling, so that single sectors don't go bad prematurely.

At 50 megabytes per second of continuous writing (which is insane for
any storage device except always-on video recording), a 16GB storage
device with a lifetime of 1 million writes means it's going to fail in
TEN YEARS.

I don't expect to still be using measly 128GB drives in ten years :)

swap