[ale] HELP, need to setup wireless access point!

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Feb 4 15:10:15 EST 2011

Hi Michael W. (since we have two Michael's),

I hadn't thought of the possible conflict you mentioned, but I already
had the DHCP servers in each of my routers set to distribute LAN
addresses on different subnets.  The cable modem would never hand me a
192.168 address, so it works OK.  Both you and Michael T. make some good
points about potential problems, and this strategy might not apply to
more complex commercial networks.  I'm in a home office situation.  As
detailed in another post, my setup is:

wifi router 1 --> wifi router 2 --> wired router 3 --> cable modem

The only shared resource I have is a printer, which is connected to
router 2.  Anyone logged into router 1 or router 2 can use the printer.
As I noted in the other post, a router is like a one way valve,
unsolicited data doesn't go backwards from the WAN to the LAN port.  So,
it IS true that anyone connected to router 3 would NOT be able to use
the printer on router 2.  However, I only use that router for port
stealthing anyway, and don't connect directly to it.

I don't do any gaming, at least at this moment, so that's not a problem.

I think it's good to have these dialogs, and bring these issues out into
the open, and realize there is always more than one way to build a network.

Sincerely,

Ron