[ale] Why do they keep putting VGA on Netbooks?!?!

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 16:30:07 EST 2011

Ron, it really has nothing to do with screwing anybody. More nearly the
opposite, i.e. providing current technology without the costly burden of the
old obsolete so we the consumers get the new product for less than the old.
I have long repeated the mantra that in the computer business, each
iteration is "better, faster, cheaper." Despite Intel's recent Bil $ blunder
with the 6 series chips, this is generally true and closely related to
Moore's Law. As one who has been in the computer hardware biz for >20 yrs.
let me tell you the margins are VERY thin in this business and for the
manufacturers to be able to sell their wares, they have got to make products
that people want at the lowest possible price points. Time was, high end CRT
monitors had BNC RGB inputs in addition to VGA inputs. Should they STILL be
putting those on LCD monitors???

Now if you want to make an argument about resource utilization and landfill
space, toxic waste, etc. that are associated with semiconductor and display
production and how it might be a better use of resources to provide all
manner of connections on all display devices so we would never have to throw
one out, there is a case for that. It may be a good idea in theory but, it
isn't economically feasible. Remember, it all gets burnt in the end anyway.
GC