[ale] how do you delete IMAP server messages and not local copies

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Feb 2 11:47:39 EST 2011

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your note.  I'm actually abandoning IMAP for now due to buggy
message status processing in Eudora OSE (Open Source Edition).  This may
affect Thunderbird too.  This is detailed in other posts.

My situation may be a bit unique in that I am on over a hundred mailing
lists which collect information on my interests, which include Alternate
Energy, metal working, ham radio, etc.  I specifically want these
messages to all be saved and archived, so I can search them when I want
to do research on these topics, kind of like my own personal Twitter.
If something happens that's important in one of these fields, you can be
it will be talked about on these lists.  I receive 5,000 - 10,000
messages / month this way.  I don't even try to read them all, as I can
barely keep up with ALE if I'm engaged in any conversations.  I cannot
leave all those messages on the server for any long period of time as it
would exceed my storage quota.

So, even if Eudora's IMAP subsystem wasn't buggy, I'd have to find a way
to delete the messages from the server and keep them locally.  Some
other people have mentioned copying them to local folders as well.  I
may try that if I ever tackle IMAP again.

I like your do, defer, delegate, delete strategy; except that I almost
never delete a message.  Frankly, it's usually not worth my time.  There
are about 200 messages in my inbox right now, after having operated on
this email program on this computer since the 24th of January.  A
representative sample of the senders:

Audible books - messages like you have credits in your account, etc.
Barnes and Noble - latest books on sale, sometimes have coupons
Best Buy - here's something you can buy with member rewards
Blockbuster - check out the latest movie - sometimes have coupons
Currency Trading - several varieties - usually educational -  these are
keepers
Inspirational Bible verses - these are keepers
Department of Energy - several varieties - educational - these are keepers
Various personal contacts from people such as yourself - these are keepers

The ones that are not keepers are usually commercial in nature.  Many
times, I do wish to reference them within a few weeks after they
arrive.  After that, they may have little meaning.  However, it's
usually not worth my time to go back and cull through them to save a few
MB on my hard drive every year.  Eventually, I'll take the time once to
build a filter to banish all these to their own unique folders at the
touch of a button.  Then, every month or so, I select all the read
messages, hit the filter button, and they are instantly filed, but not
deleted.

Thanks very much for the information and suggestions.

Sincerely,

Ron