[ale] how do you delete IMAP server messages and not local copies

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Feb 2 11:02:07 EST 2011

Hi Paul,

(For those other than Paul, he and I have been discussing this topic off
list, but I didn't want to leave this not unacknowledged.)

Thanks for the link.  How on Earth did you find something at Queen Mary
University in London?  That's a pretty good article.  A couple of people
had mentioned copying messages to folders.

I'm actually abandoning my IMAP pursuits for the moment, due to buggy
message processing in Eudora OSE.  Those interested in my reasons can
reference my post on 01/31/11 entitled Eudora OSE - maybe Thunderbird -
IMAP Buggy.

I appreciate all the tips, and am saving them for future reference.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 01/31/2011 06:17 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 01/31/2011 01:34 AM, Ron Frazier wrote:
>> Hello all.  Several people have been encouraging me to use IMAP for
>> email, and I've been investigating it.  I specifically want to download
>> the messages to my local computer and have them available whether I'm
>> connected to the internet or not, as well as be able to back them up.  I
>> want all my computers synchronized when I'm connected to the net.  AND,
>> I want to be able to delete the messages from the server periodically,
>> when they accumulate to too large a number; while still retaining the
>> local copy on my machines.  I cannot seem to find any way to do that
>> based on what I've been reading.  Anybody know if that can be done?  I
>> also read that IMAP have problems synchronizing thousands of messages in
>> a folder, which is routine for me.
>>

> http://www.its.qmul.ac.uk/mail/eudora/basics/basics.html
>

> Eudora OSE still has the FILE-OFFLINE menu..
> another way you could do that is to create a Local_Folder, and a
> filter to COPY all emails to the local folder. Then when you want to
> DELETE the ones on the server, you just DELETE the emails from the
> IMAP folder, and you still will have them in the local folder..
> --
> Paul Cartwright

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.