[ale] AT&T is evil

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Wed Feb 2 10:46:59 EST 2011

That's why my solution instead of eliminating lawsuits as many want to
do is to instead require that lawyers not be paid any more than the
amount given to the lowest member of the "class".

It was a joke that Alltel was sued on "behalf of shareholders" over
their buyout by a private equity firm.   The "settlement" didn't even
offer me the paltry $1.32 or so I'm used to in other large class actions
- it simply said something like "we didn't find any meaningful fiduciary
issues so we and Alltel have agreed no payment is due but they'll go
ahead and pay the legal expenses" - that meant ONLY the lawyers got
money on "behalf of shareholders".   It that doesn't seem wrong then
nothing does.

Anyway Obama in the State of Union said he was willing to work on "Tort
Reform" which is code for "We'll let the corporations rape you and you
won't be able to sue".   The funny thing is that Medical reform was done
mainly because of the evils of HMOs that already have that protection.
I remember when HMOs first started in the 80s.  They were actually
encouraging folks to go to the doctor for "preventative" care because
they understood "fixing" things later costs more.