[ale] Archival Life [wuz: 26G to backup]

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Sat Dec 31 21:24:50 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Leam Hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have lost several years of e-mail due to my file server croaking. My
> fault completely, yet it makes me wonder what I'm doing in such dusty
> archival mode.

There's a lot of good thinking about these matters in the book, _Total
Recall: How the E-Memory Revolution Will Change Everything_.  The primary
author, Gordon Bell, has gone farther than most, earlier than most, in
experimenting with the extremes of "archival mode."  Most of his life is
captured digitally.

His ideas were very interesting to me.  He points out, for example, that
digital memories are unlike mental ones that consume mental energy in the
present (some of the stuff in his digital memory is pretty much forgotten
in his own mind) or even paper ones, which intrude physically on the
present, and so they're essentially gone unless you willingly recall them.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/