[ale] 26G to backup

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Sat Dec 31 11:37:14 EST 2011

Realistically, *anything* sitting in a safe for 10 years is going to fail,
except /maybe/ some enterprise grade tape backup. DVD will definitely not
make it that long either. The reality is that any data you want to keep
needs to be juggled around every year or so to keep it fresh and possibly
move it to more modern media. I think that right now, flash-based storage
is probably your best bet for longevity, as long as you only write to it
once in a while.  But then, we were told that DVDs would last forever too,
but now we know that's not the case.

Generally the increase in available space on hard drives at a given price
is enough to keep up with normal data growth, unless you are generating a
lot of video. I specifically mean real data you are generating, not stuff
you might be archiving from a mailing list or file downloads.

❧ Brian Mathis